Hanshi John Therien
WKF Founder and President
With more than 50 years of martial arts experience, Hanshi Therien created the WKF to fulfill his vision of what a world-wide organization should be. Based in Ottawa, Canada, he organizes many of the WKF events and travels around the world giving seminars and promoting the positive values of the martial arts.
He is also the founder of the Therien Jiu-Jitsu & Kickboxing organization, one of Canada’s largest and most successful group of Martial Arts schools. He has certified and graduated over a thousand Black Belts and is the head instructor for more than 3000 active students in the Can-Ryu system. Hanshi Therien also promotes kickboxing events and was the manager for Jean Yves Theriault, World Kickboxing champion
Hanshi John Therien’s martial arts achievements include:
- Title of Hanshi (Leader of Leaders)
- 9th degree Black Belt
- Man of the Decade 1980’s – PKA (Professional Karate Association)
- 1982 – PKA Promoter of the Year
- 1996 – Inducted into the CJA Hall of Fame
- 1997 – Inducted into the WKF Hall of Fame
- Canadian Government Award for achievement in Jiu-Jitsu
- Golden Belt Award for being a pioneer of Jiu-Jitsu in Canada
- Golden Belt Award for being a pioneer of Kickboxing in Canada
- Ranked #1 Jiu-Jitsu instructor in Canada by his peers
- Manager of 23-time world Kickboxing Champion, Jean-Yves Thériault
- Canadian Blackbelt Martial Arts Hall of Fame May 2010
- President of the Vanier Merchants Association 2007-present
Hanshi Alain Sailly
WKF World Ambassador and Vice President
Alain Sailly was born in 1958, and started Judo with his father at the age of 5.
In his childhood, he trained with the adults, so it was very demanding. In his teens and early twenties he competed at an international level in judo, free style and greco roman wrestling, sambo and full-contact jitsu. Hanshi Sailly has also earned a physical education degree from Sport University Vichy.
He is a World Class Martial Artist with movement like no other! Even those with years of martial arts training cannot show such a blend of skills at as high a level as Alain Sailly, Master of Goshindo, the Way of Protecting Oneself. The best of Aikido, karate, judo, grappling, and jiujitsu combine in unique combinations that will improve flow, coordination, strength, flexibility, and mental calm.
Hanshi Sailly is the International Ambassador of the WKF travelling to over 30 countries every year, spreading the skills and values of the martial arts and the mission of the World Kobudo Federation